Location: San Rafael, CA
We’re looking for a highly accomplished Director of Culinary Services to be a Food & Beverage champion to work at our clients’ community as their Director of Culinary Service. The Director of Culinary Services is responsible for providing a positive dining experience that includes appealing and nutritious foods. The Director of Culinary Services is responsible for the planning, organization, preparation, and service of meals, nourishment, and refreshments. Create a resort-style menu while adhering to special dietary restrictions.
The successful candidate will excel in these ways:
- Interpersonal skills: develop and maintain positive relationships with residents and staff.
- Management and leadership skills: provide direction and oversight to staff in a respectful, encouraging way, while maintaining standards of excellence and accountability.
- Verbal and written communication: the ability to communicate effectively, efficiently and appropriately in standard English.
- Collaboration: thrive in a collaborative, team-oriented environment.
- A passion to serve and enrich the well-being of older adults.
- Menu: Create recipes and menu cycles that offer choice, address requests from residents and meet licensing guidelines for nutrition and portion size. Prepare appropriate special diets to meet residents’ needs.
- Resident satisfaction: Routinely meet with the resident food committee and solicit residents’ ideas and perspectives on the quality, variety and type of meals served in the community. Adjust menus to reflect the needs and interests of residents as well as seasonal opportunities. Implement quarterly food service surveys and, based on results, adjust services as appropriate.
- Ordering and inventory: Order supplies and procure all food such as raw food, dairy products, meat, bakery items, and all other consumables used in the kitchen. Maintain a weekly inventory of food supplies at established levels to meet budget objectives and routinely assess the quality and price of purchases.
- Regulatory compliance: Ensure that the food service department meets all licensing standards and requirements. Train staff to function within appropriate guidelines and to adhere to standards and licensing requirements at all times.
- Management: Provide management and supervision to the food service department including hiring, training, and evaluation of kitchen and dining room staff. Provide mentoring to support the professional development of staff.
- Leadership: Serve as a member of the community’s management team, providing leadership.
- Five years experience with food preparation and service in assisted living, hotel, hospitality, skilled nursing community and/or other community environments.
- ServSafe certificate.
- Two years’ supervisory experience.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, preferably in a relevant area.
- Working knowledge of Title 22, Division 6, Chapter 8.
- Must be available some evenings and weekends.
- Must be available to work major holidays, such as Christmas and Thanksgiving.
- Have a love for seniors.