The Director of Business Development position is sometimes called Area Manager of Business Development or Business Development Manager or Director. Each of these titles refers to the same position, although there are subtle differences in job responsibilities from company to company.
This is an external sales and co-marketing position, responsible for generating leads and move-ins, through establishing and nurturing outside referral sources within the local region. The Director of Business Development works in close collaboration with the Regional Director of Sales and Marketing and other leadership roles within the senior living community both at a local and regional level.
Director of Business Development Job Responsibilities
The Director of Business Development is directly responsible for census growth at a senior living community, through the development and implementation of comprehensive marketing programs to establish and solidify the company’s brand reputation in the broader community.
The Director of Business Development positively impacts census through delivering referrals to the senior living community, increasing occupancy and revenue.
Additional Responsibilities for the Director of Business Development
In addition to the critical responsibility of driving census growth and achieving occupancy goals, the Director of Business Development is also responsible for:
- Identify new referral prospects and develop strategic plans for establishing and nurturing positive business relationships.
- The Director of Business Development interfaces regularly with health care professionals in the local area, such as physicians, social workers, ancillary care providers, physical and occupational therapists, hospital discharge planners, and related professionals.
- Schedule face-to-face meetings and demonstrate the company’s senior living communities in order to establish referral relationships.
- Track referrals and payer sources in order to meet established goals.
Typical Background Requirements for a Director of Business Development
The Director of Business Development is a sales-centric role, primarily focused on establishing and nurturing referral sources to secure leads and move-ins for one or more senior living communities. As such, senior living providers typically prefer candidates with a strong sales background and excellent communication skills with the ability to ask for and obtain new business from external sources.
Generally, Director of Business Development job descriptions outline the following requirements:
- A four-year degree from an accredited educational institution in sales, marketing, business or a closely-related field.
- Two or more years of experience in a sales and/or marketing role, preferably in a senior living or health care environment.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve or exceed established sales goals, preferably in a consultative sales capacity.
Are you a sales rock-star capable of driving census growth and generating referrals for a leading senior living corporation? If this is your next role, send us your resume in confidence today.